Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What I'd like to be doing....


...is sitting here on my canoe, with a blanket, cup of tea, and a book.
Instead my girls are home from 1/2 day kindergarten, and we are in the middle of ripping apart the art room. I pulled everything out of the closet, removed the shelves, and am starting from square one. I'm putting all of my supplies in there, so I'm left with counterspace, a work table, and my chandelier. A blank slate, ready to create art.

My dad built this canoe in High School, and used it on many canoe trips with his buddies. The numbers are from a canoe race that he and my brother were in. After we bought the house, I decided the canoe hanging in the garage (that Mark bumped his head on repeatedly), would be the perfect window seat in our living room. Dad assured me he'd help me find another one more suitable and could take this one away. I was bummed.

Months later Dad called and said to load up the kids and hurry to see what he had found. It was a hideous aqua fiberglass canoe sitting curbside. He asked me to help haul it home, and told me I could chop his canoe in 1/2 and make it into the windowseat. I was ecstatic, and Mark and his friend did a terrific job. In the corner there is a "trap door" loaded with more blankets and pillows. On snowy days the kids love to take off the cushions and play on the canoe. On snowy days I prefer to sitting here with a really good book....

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic Idea! i love it! Love the color and I could sit there all day long too..~lulu

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great piece with great history behind it. Wish I was sitting there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool window seat. Love the sentiment behind it too. I don't know if I would have the heart to cut in half though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind comments on my blog! That room looks so cozy. I would love to sit in their with a book and coffee too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, this cool canoe! Looking very cozy all together. I can imagine you sitting over there, enjoying your good book and your beautiful kids!
    Saskia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! That is the coolest window seat I have ever seen! You have a beautiful backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie,
    Thanks for the sugar tips. I will be starting tomorrow. :( I know I will have more energy.
    I will be at the kane county flea market the first weekend in May. My mom and I are getting away for a girls weekend.
    Will you be going?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fabulous little corner! I love the sentiment behind it too. We have a outdoors feel in our basement guest suite, and the kids would love a canoe down there.

    ReplyDelete